Who wants to be stinky and offensive to others? Try this recipe using garlic scapes and you are sure to have some alone time.
Garlic Lovers Scape Pesto
Makes about 2 cups
½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tablespoons Lime Juice
½ cup or more of shredded Parmesan Cheese or favorite cheese blend
¼ cup chopped Pecans
Salt to taste
In a food processor, blend scapes, oil and lime juice until well mixed. Next add the Parmesan cheese, chopped nuts and salt. Blend again.
Freeze leftovers. Many people recommend freezing in ice cube trays and then putting the cubes into Ziploc bags for easier access come meal time.
Optional Pesto Cari-Variations:
- If you like it hot add red pepper flakes (The garlic scapes will be spicy already so use red pepper flakes sparingly unless you like a big kick)
- Switch out pecans for pistachios, pine nuts or cashews
- Add herbs like basil, parsley or cilantro
- Add a little sweetness with fresh peas from the garden
- Serve over cooked pasta, spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
- You can also use in place of pizza sauce
- Use as a sandwich spread or garlic cheese bread topping.
- Drop a cube into your soup base.
- Add the pesto to a can of rinsed, mashed white beans for dip.
- It’s great over fish and chicken too.
Are you hungry yet? I know I am.
What is your favorite way to use garlic scapes?